bfd does not work in a vrf

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jul 23 15:43:32 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 04:23:00PM +0200, Alexander Zubkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have attached a patch to check if there are any vrf-base bfd
> protocols. And if there are none of them, then protocol non-vrf bfd
> protocols takes all sessions. Otherwise it takes only non-vrf
> sessions. I added a global option into config structure, but not sure
> if it is an approved way of doing things like that.

Hi

I would rather keep it in the current state until we would have some
better / generic solution. The issue with BFD is analogous with other
protocols, e.g. OSPF - if OSPF is configured for VRF on all interfaces,
then it is enabled for all interfaces inside the VRF, but when it is
configured without VRF on all interfaces, then it is enabled for all
interfaces, regardless whether they are a part of any VRF or not.

Therefore, we need a way to specify that a protocol is root/master/outer-VRF
only, e.g. 'vrf root' option. Implementation would be easy, just not sure
what is a proper term for that.