static default route not always pushed to kernel (2.0.4)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Apr 29 15:42:45 CEST 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 01:01:13PM +0000, Kenth Eriksson wrote:
> > 'ip' tool, perhaps harder in other cases). It would be great if there
> > existed sysctl option for default IPv4 route metric.
> >

> There is no overwrite involed here. The default route in the kernel
> here has metric 100. As you said, bird pushes with metric 32 so it
> should push again.

Well, i misread your mail. If i understand it correctly, the issue is
not that routes are not pushed into kernel, but that they are not
pushed into master table. I guess you have two routes for the same
network in one static protocol. That is not valid case, although
we are missing error checks for that configuration.

You could either use two separate static protocol instances, or you could use this patch:

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/commit/9861dba5230da539e6ce7d2b6baa4f2631556d09

That allows multiple routes for the same network with different
preferences (with explicit preference parameter) in one static protocol
instance, e.g.:

  route 0.0.0.0/0 via 10.210.137.1 { preference 220; };
  route 0.0.0.0/0 via 192.168.120.1 { preference 230; };