Static dormant routes not shown

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Apr 29 12:18:34 CEST 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 09:11:22AM +0000, Kenth Eriksson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Why does not static routes in dormant state show of up in the routing
> table? I expexted all routes to be visible in 'show route'. If the
> route is not installed into the kernel, then that should be some way
> (in bird case I believe that is the exclamation mark).

Hi

The original design is that only valid routes are in the routing table
and protocols are responsible for adding or removing routes when they
become or ceased to be valid. Later that was bit changed with recursive
BGP routes, which are there always and routing table is responsible
for recomputing next hops, but the basic design is still here for regular
routes.

I agree that it would make sense to have more uniform approach here, like
having routes with invalid / unreachable next hops in the routing table,
but not propagating them, and perhaps we will change to that in the
future. OTOH, there are other reasons why static routes are dormant -
next hop is reachable but iface is link-down, or route has BFD trigger
and assoicated BFD session is down.

The exclamation mark is more like route should be installed into kernel,
but installation failed. If route is not supposed to be installed (e.g.
rejected by kernel export), there is no exclamation mark.