BIRDv2 OSPF: Stub for loopback potentially broken: Invalid Prefix in LSA

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Wed Apr 24 16:16:24 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 15:47 +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 01:10:31PM +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > yes, the second case, agreed.

> > > No, this is a true unnumbered I/F(it has no local IP address) and will not generate
> > > any stub route.

> > > I expressed myself badly, I meant if one want to have control over what SRC ip is used,
> > > you need to have it on the local I/F. Maybe there is a way to do that these days differently
> > > but I don't think any PtoP impl. on Linux uses that.

> > > This case is as close one gets to a true unnumbered I/F in Linux I think and pppd supports
> > > such links. I think should treat /32 links as unnumbered even if there is an remote
> > > IP address or make it configurable.

> > > Maybe but since it is the remote ip one puts here you will only save "space" when
> > > you have multiple ptop links between the same two routers.

> > > Yes, this is what I was getting at too. Maybe have a conf option "unnumbered" to treat
> > > eth1 as a "true" unnumbred I/F(no stub network).
> > > Quietion is, what should be default?
> > > What is default in current 2.0 Bird?
> > >
> > >  Jocke
> > >

> > I have a hard time understanding the code for section 12.4.1.1 Option 1 and Option 2:
> >
> >     /* Now we will originate stub area if there is no primary */
> >     if (net_lsa ||
> >       (ifa->type == OSPF_IT_VLINK) ||
> >       ((ifa->addr->flags & IA_PEER) && ! ifa->cf->stub) ||
> >       configured_stubnet(oa, ifa->addr))
> >       continue;
> > Is the above always true for a ptp I/F? I am not clear over how IA_HOST, IA_PEER and ifa->cf->stub works.
>
> IA_HOST means /32, no peer address
> IA_PEER means /32, and peer address
>
> ifa->cf->stub means explicitly configured stub/pasive mode.

OK, thanks.

> > Also, important to agree if a /32 mask constitutes a subnet or not?
>
> /32 does not consistute subnet because it does not cover both local and remote addresses.

My view too. :)

> > That would explain the below, there is no Option 1
>
> Yes, we do not announce neighboring router's IP (Option 1)

OK, you are effectively considering your ptp I/F and the other side to be unnumbered always?
I think that works for us ATM, just requires adding a lo0 host route to OSPF

> (unless it is passive interface).

Option 1 is about adding the peer IP address so a passive ptp I/F isn't strictly
doing Option 1 but a route to itself.