Learning BIRD source

Maria Matějka jan.matejka at nic.cz
Sat Apr 13 21:55:41 CEST 2019

>> I think any IDE with C support you like should work, maybe except for
>>   Visual Studio which has no real C compiler anyway so it won't build
>>   there at all.
>
>How do you figure? Visual Studio has an ANSI C compiler.

Oh, sorry, I always thought that the compiler was buggy even in ANSI C features, however I can't find any source now; my last (painful) experience with VS is several years old.

Which still doesn't mean that it will compile BIRD smoothly:
* we use C11 (not fully supported in VS) and we should also check this in the configure script (now there is C99 check, which is not enough due to anonymous unions and structs)
* we don't have any sysdep for windows (the event loop and other system dependent routines),
* we also use some GNU C extensions

If anybody wanted to make BIRD build under VS, try it, patches are welcome.

I'm just issuing a warning about that, maybe with not enough respect. (If you feel I was too rude, sorry for that.)

Maria