Primary route confusion

Kenth Eriksson Kenth.Eriksson at infinera.com
Fri Sep 21 13:58:41 CEST 2018

On Fri, 2018-09-21 at 12:44 +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
> not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender
> and know the content is safe.
>

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:51:17AM +0000, Kenth Eriksson wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The primary route in BIRD, marked by '*', confuses me. Consider the
> > following two default routes as displayed by BIRD (2.0.2) and the
> > Linux
> > kernel (4.14.51+).
> >
> > bird> show route
> > Table master4:
> > 0.0.0.0/0            unicast [ospf1 19:54:43.687] * E1 (110/350)
> > [172.20.4.41]
> >       via 172.20.4.41 on p1-1-1-1-2
> >                      unicast [kernel1 19:47:39.563] (40)
> >       via 172.20.0.1 on eth1
> >

> > # route -n
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric
> > Ref    Use
> > Iface
> > 0.0.0.0         172.20.0.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
> >    0
> > eth1
> > 0.0.0.0         172.20.4.41     0.0.0.0         UG    32     0
> >    0
> > p1-1-1-1-2
> >
> > BIRD shows that the OSPF route with administrative distance of 110
> > is
> > primary, and not the kernel route with administrative distance of
> > 40.
>
> Hi
>
> BIRD on Linux cannot overwrite alien/kernel routes in kernel routing
> table. It uses kernel metric 32 to avoid collisions with them.
>
> > When BIRD pushes the OSPF route to the kernel, it uses the metric
> > 32 by
> > default, whereas the default kernel route has metric 0. Both routes
> > are
> > installed to the FIB, but the kernel will elect the route via eth1.
> > Why
> > is not the default route over eth1 shown as primary in BIRD?
>
> That is because kernel protocol has low preference. Set it to higher
> value. Set preference for kernel protocol to higher value than OSPF.
> I see you have 40 and 110, which are not default values anyway.

So the preference value in BIRD is not the same as administrative
distance? I believe both Juniper and Cisco treats lower preference
value / administrative distance value as a more preferred route.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/general/routing-protocols-default-route-preference-values.html

Is preference value inverted in BIRD?