Static routes stuck in dormant state (interface discovery broken?)

Kenth Eriksson Kenth.Eriksson at infinera.com
Tue Sep 18 10:38:56 CEST 2018

Hi!

I'm using BIRD 2.0.2 and have trouble with static routes that gets stuck in dormant state.  It looks as the problem happens if the static route is pushed into BIRD config before the interface exists. BIRD detects when interfaces go up and down, but misses when interfaces are added. The only way I have found to kick BIRD out if this state is to issue another configure command after the interface exists.

Reproducing this is very easy, simply add a static route over a sub-interface that is not yet created, this leaves the route in dormant state

Add static route over a sub-interface

protocol static {
    route 172.23.1.0/24 via "eth1.666";
}

Reconfigure BIRD, note it picks it up as dormant.

bird> configure
Reading configuration from /tmp/bird.conf
Reconfigured
bird> show static
172.23.1.0/24
        dev eth1.666 (dormant)
bird>

Now create the sub-interface and bring it up

vconfig add eth1 666
ifconfig eth1.666 up

BIRD does not discover that the interface was created and does not push the route into the kernel.

Thanks,
Kenth