BGP make client (default) announcement depend on ibgp/upstream peers being "up"

Patrick Schaaf bof at bof.de
Tue Jun 12 20:03:36 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 08:00:10AM +0200, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to make the client default route announcement depend on
>> at least one of the upstream peers (iBGP, real upstream) being "up"
>> and having sent us all its routes? Or, even more ideally, one of them
>> being up, having sent all its routes, _and_ bird having gotten around
>> to installing them all in the kernel (data plane)?
>
> No, that is not currently possible directly in BIRD.
>
> You could make some shell scripts that tracks state of BGP sessions
> and/or number of routes and enable/disable a static protocol with
> default route.

Thanks for the answer and suggestion, Ondrej! I can roughly see how
that would work.

Do you think such a feature might be interesting to have in bird
itself - or is my idea too exotic? I'm not going to rush trying to
implement something like that, but in case there's interest and I get
bored it might be a good excuse to get my hands dirty with the code :)

best regards
  Patrick