BIRD - Config Support for RFC 3107 - Carrying Label Information in BGP

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Jul 1 01:50:56 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 08:23:37PM +0000, Thiruvazhiyan Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hi Ondrej,
> Thanks for your advice, with the updated iproute2 package, I can see the mpls routes in the table now.
> I need another help now, I am trying to advertise the loopback interface addresses to the labeled unicast BGP peer with label value of 3 (Implicit null), but unable to do it. I am trying to create a static label route and advertise to the label unicast bgp peer, but I still see the routes received in the unicast table in the peer.
> protocol static static4 {
>         ipv4;
>         route 10.10.100.10/32 via 10.10.101.38 mpls 3;
> }

Hi

This does not work, because "via IP mpls X" means that labes X is label
assigned by IP. That label is announced when IP is announced as
bgp_next_hop, but when 'next hop self' is used (or when local address is
used as bgp_next_hop for other reasons) then local label (instead of
label of IP) must be used, but BIRD currently does not support local
label assignment, and such route is ignored.

Attached patch fixes it so BIRD will use implicit-NULL automatically
when route is announced with local next hop via MPLS-BGP.

Compile BIRD with it.