Trouble with IPv6 and VRFs: Cannot assign requested address

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Dec 30 17:15:02 CET 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 03:52:53PM +0100, Ralf Jung wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I have now also played around with bird 2.0 a bit, but got the same result: IPv4
> works, but IPv6 says "Cannot assign requested address".  I have attached my
> stripped-down configuration, which (as far as I can tell) is entirely symmetric
> for IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> I am starting bird as
>
> > sudo ./bird -c bird.conf -d
>
> The log looks like:
>
> This, too, looks entirely symmetric between IPv4 and IPv6.  Is it possible that
> this is a kernel bug?

Hi

Thanks for interesting logs, it is possible that this is a kernel bug,
the implementation is pretty fresh and there were few issues with it in
the past.

You could try modified configurations (e.g. multihop instead of direct,
real ethernet interface (or dummy interface) instead of tun interface)
to see if the issue is related to some of these variants.