segfault when adding OSPF virtual link on Bird 1.6.4

Cybertinus bird at cybertinus.nl
Sat Dec 8 21:48:52 CET 2018

Hello everybody,

Today I was experimenting with a Bird setup. All the Bird machines are
CentOS 7.6 VMs running in Virtualbox on my laptop. When I add an OSPF
virtual link to hook up two area 0's together I get a segfault of Bird
1.6.4 itself. All the links between the VMs are defined as "Internal
Network" links. Each connection between routers got it's own internal
network, so there should be no overlap between those connections.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a bird.conf with the following contents specified in the
attached bird.conf
2. Start Bird
3. Add the following line to the area 1 config:
        virtual link 2.2.2.2;
4. Run `birdc configure`
5. Observe the following error in your syslog:
Dec  8 21:01:35 r3 kernel: bird[3469]: segfault at 32 ip
0000000000429fe0 sp 00007fff599d3350 error 4 in bird[400000+73

I've ran Bird 1.6.4 in a gdb session with the debug symbols installed
and I created a stack trace after the crash. This gives the output which
can be found in the attached gdb.txt.
What is interesting to note is that the segfault only occurs when I
reconfigure Bird. I can start it just fine right after the crash and the
OSPF sessions come back online and everything.

I hope this gives some useful information about what is happening. If
you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask. It is a test
network, so I can tell you absolutely everything about it, nothing is a
company secret or something like that :).

Kind regards,
Cybertinus