bird 2 and vpn4 mpls

Chris Herdt cherdt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:34:16 CEST 2018

Following the example at https://github.com/BIRD/bird/
blob/v2.0.2/doc/bird.conf.example2, I set up a simple bird config (see
below).

It is working, but I am not certain what the '---' in the table column of
the output of `show protocols` means. I expected the column to display
vpntab4.

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/birdc show protocols
BIRD v2.0.2 ready.
Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
peer1      BGP        ---        up     17:14:48.474  Established

The output of `show route count` shows that there are routes in table
vpntab4:

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/birdc show route count
BIRD v2.0.2 ready.
0 of 0 routes for 0 networks in table master4
0 of 0 routes for 0 networks in table master6
9581 of 9581 routes for 9581 networks in table vpntab4
Total: 9581 of 9581 routes for 9581 networks in 3 tables

The contents of my bird.conf:

log syslog { debug, trace, info, remote, warning, error, auth, fatal, bug };
log stderr all;

router id 127.0.0.1;

vpn4 table vpntab4;

protocol bgp peer1 {