Bird 1.5 and 1.6 memory leak

Willy Goiffon willy at mailoo.org
Wed Apr 18 09:50:42 CEST 2018

> if it occurs also on 1.6.4, could you please add also "birdcl show
> route count" output and some logs with debug all switched on?

I had to reinstall version 1.5.0, to remain in the ubuntu default PPA.
The route count is ridiculously low though:

         $ birdc show route count
         BIRD 1.5.0 ready.
         11 of 11 routes for 11 networks

> How does it get leaked, do you reconfigure many times? Does the memory
> consumption increase gradually or by larger amounts?

It seems to leak at the kernel level, as the process memory doesn't
increase.
I'm not doing any reconfiguration. It increases gradually and is closely
tied to the traffic crossing the router.
If I stop any traffic from passing (eg, using iptables), the memleak
stops.

As I said, I also don't have this leak if I leave bird down and
configure
the routes statically.