BIRD IP tunnel problem

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Sep 12 13:11:59 CEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:45:25PM +0200, noc at joey-network.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I figured out a problem with the BIRD routing daemon.
> It is not possible to route BGP via IPIP tunnels. As you can see below
> the packets will be routed through the wrong device. Normally it should
> choose "ASIX" as right device, but it does not.

Hi

I guess there could be a problem if the tunnel does not have a link-local
address. Is that the case? BGP specification requires secondary
link-local IP address on IPv6 BGP_NEXT_HOP attribute when primary
(global) next hop is one hop away. BIRD enforces that on TX. See BGP
option 'missing lladdr'. It is true that the requirement does not make
sense for PTP interfaces, where there is no third party.