Unexpected behavior of static routes

Alexander Demenshin aldem-bird.201704 at nk7.net
Tue May 9 18:39:04 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have something like this in my config (bird 1.6.3 @linux):

protocol static {
   route 10.1.0.0/24 via "eth1";
   route 10.2.0.0/24 via 10.1.0.1;
}

Route to 10.1.0.0/24 is installed as expected, but, route to 10.2.0.0/24
is not showing up anywhere, while it seems logical that once its
covering
network is routed it should be installed too.

Even if I add route to 10.1.0.0/24 manually (outside of bird) and it is
visible to bird, 10.2/24 is still ignored, it is only installed if (and
only if) I add an IP within 10.2.0.0/24 range to the interface.

Is it a bug or intentional behavior? Is there any way to workaround
this?

Yes, I know that I can use recursive routes but this is not an option in
my setup - the gateway has to be exact, routing through interface will
not work.

The aim is to maintain a list of routes which will be activated if:

- device is up
- gateway becomes available through any other active route (like in my
example)

Thank you!

--
With best regards,