Hardware requirements for BIRD

Israel G. Lugo israel.lugo at lugosys.com
Sat Mar 11 17:06:37 CET 2017

Just to give an idea. I'm using multiple GNU/Linux routers with an Intel
Atom C2758 (8-core SoC) and 8 GiB RAM to handle ~2k routes with Bird.
Bird itself doesn't make a dent in CPU. These are building access
routers; traffic is around 80 Mbit/s each (~ 6 kpps), with connection
tracking and NAT. Using 2*1 Gbit bond, builtin NICs from the SoC with
igb driver. CPU load is usually next to 0 with regular traffic.

I've tested this setup to 1.4 Mpps (Gbit line rate with small packets),
*without* conntrack/NAT. It stresses the 8 cores, but works. With NAT, I
can get up to ~ 200 kpps.

As it turns out, the C2000 line isn't so great at staying alive for more
than a few months though [1]... but that's on its way to being fixed.

Regards,
Israel G. Lugo

[1]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11110/semi-critical-intel-atom-c2000-flaw-discovered