manipulating the best path, eBGP, MED?

Jerry Scharf jerry at soundhound.com
Tue Mar 7 20:35:20 CET 2017

I always use aspath stuffing rather than MED for this kind of thing.
After localpref, the next level of choice for a bgp route is the AS path
length, with shorter winning.

Say you want prefix 1 to always prefer hv1 and prefix2 to prefer hv2. On
hv2, prepend your AS onto prefix 1 and on hv1, prepend your AS onto
prefix2. When the other end receives the routes, it will see that the AS
path length is longer to prefix1 from hv2, so it will always prefer hv1.
If hv1 dies, then it will only have the hv2 route and that will be used.
When hv1 starts advertising prefix 1 again, the traffic will flow back
to hv1.

It may seem a little gross, but it is simple and effective. MEDs are
much trickier and were designed for the case when you have two different
connections through an intervening AS between the source and destination AS.

jerry

--
Soundhound Devops
"What could possibly go wrong?"