Order of BGP communities

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jun 13 13:46:40 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 03:49:35PM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today, we noticed a difference in the order that communities were added between 1.6.3 and 1.4.5 version.
>
> Does anyone know why ?

It is true, one reason is that to have that consistent with extended and
long communities. Another reason is that append is a bit more natural, if
you add several communities and then show it, you end with the same
order.

Also note that order of communities is not significant and in the future
we perhaps end with sorted community attributes.