[Feature request] DHCPv6 protocol

andreas at rammhold.de andreas at rammhold.de
Sun Apr 2 00:53:31 CEST 2017

On 15:21 01.04.17, Martin Huněk wrote:
> There is one fork of ISC DHCP (https://github.com/mpalmer/isc-dhcp) which at
> least gives address of CPE to be available to custom hooks which then allows
> you to make hook for adding/removing routes for delegated prefixes. However it
> seems to be dead since end of 2014.

Two years ago I was in the same boat. There wasn't really anything that
I would have liked to use so I had to invent it again - unfortunately I
never got around to clean up and publish it.

It is based on a vanilla ISC DHCP with a bunch of `on commit` and python
scripts to do exactly that. It works quiet well and hasn't failed us
yet. I use it in combination with ExaBGP to inject routes whenever a new
lease is given out. It also takes care of withdrawing expired leases.

> I'm not arguing about that it would not be easier to program it into DHCP
> server, it would be, I'm stating that it would be helpful to have at least
> relay in bird. Because to have a functional DHCPv6-PD it is necessary to do
> both routing and DHCP itself and since DHCP servers doesn't do that, routing
> daemon should.

I agree a full DHCPdv6 is probably a bit too heavy- if you want to be
serious about the features (vendor specific options, custom option
injection depending on some preconditions, databae queries, user
classification, …).

A rather simplistic DHCPv6-Relay would be nice to have - and probably
come in handy at some point.

While it would be nice to have I think the saner approach is probably to
have a seperated process feed data into some kernel routing table where
bird or GoBGPd or Quagga or … can pick it.

My 2 cents

andi-