Out of memory crash of 3000 routes in BGP

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Oct 11 14:07:23 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 06:21:44PM -0700, Madhu wrote:
> I have 3000 routes with 64 path ecmp. It is crashing . I don't see the coredump . Is there anyway to fix using trace ?

Hi

I would like to confirm, it is BIRD that was killed by out of memory
killer and could be just restarted? Or Linux kernel crashed? (You wrote
'the kernel crashed with out of memory issue' in one prior mail.)

In the first case, how much memory BIRD takes after start and before it crashes?
How long it takes to crash to crash due to OOM?

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 6:08 PM, Jonathan Stewart <jonathan.stewart at gmail.com> wrote:
> It must be something specific to your environment.

It is likely related to 64 path BGP multipath exported to kernel.