Linux 'local' table (255) import into BIRD?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Nov 25 15:46:01 CET 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 11:39:32AM +0000, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to import 'local' routes from the kernel into Bird without any success...
>
> The route is installed as: "/sbin/ip -6 route add local 2001:db8:cafe:babe::/64 dev lo" (it allows the host to reply/answer to any address in this prefix :-))

Hello

Routes in table 255 have special type (RTN_LOCAL, RTN_BROADCAST ...) and
these route types are unsupported by BIRD.

You could import them as unreachable routes by compiling BIRD with attached patch.

Also note that routes with 'proto kernel' are ignored, byt that is
probably not relevant to your case, just to other routes in table 255.