Regarding rr client configuration

Harish Venkatraman vharish30 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 05:05:04 CEST 2016

Hi,

I am new to bird and trying to configure route reflector client in my bgp configuration. Just curious if the below configuration is correct? i am running ebgp between the switch and traffic generator and i see that the bgp routes are getting installed in my switch. The local AS is 20 and remote AS is 10.
Running another software on the switch which is listening for these BGP routes (ibgp) on port 1179 and ip 127.0.0.1 which is loopback interface.  My configuration is given below. The iBGP session are getting established and it is also not consistent. I have to restart bird multiple times to get it to establish the connection.
Secondly I saw some template configuration for rr in the bird and used that too. Not sure if  it is required? if so is there any changes required in the configuration below.
Lastly is the cluster id configs required?

protocol bgp bgp_20  {
        description "My IBGP";
        local as 20;
        neighbor 127.0.0.1 port 1179 as 20;
#       multihop;
        hold time 90;
        startup hold time 90;
        connect retry time 30;
        keepalive time 30;      # defaults to hold time / 3
        connect delay time 5;     # How long do we wait before initial connect
        next hop self;          # Disable next hop processing and always advertii
ise our local address as nexthop
        path metric 1;          # Prefer routes with shorter paths (like Cisco dd
does)
        default bgp_med 0;      # MED value we use for comparison when none is dd
defined
       rr client;              # I am a route reflector and the neighor is my ccc
lient
       rr cluster id 1.0.0.1;  # Use this value for cluster id instead of my rooo
uter id
        import all;
        export all;
}