AW: OSPF default route under special circumstance

Rohrmann Sascha Rohrmann at citkomm.de
Thu Feb 18 14:45:43 CET 2016

> Hi
>
> Well it is hard to say where is a problem without the configuration.
> Don't you swap import/export statements? For example, kernel protocol
> should have 'export filter { if net = 0.0.0.0/0 then reject; accept};'
> if you do not want to export default route to it.
>
> Or you could just have default reject/unreachable route, like in this
> example:
>
> https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/wikis/BGP_example_2

This example worked perfectly for me. Thanks.
My problem was, that I didn't really understand how to originate the default route at the border router which performs
OSPF and BGP. Normally a border Router doesn't have a default-route in its' routing table.
Cisco originated the default-route via "default information originate". That's what I wanted to configure.
But as I wrote before: the example worked perfectly.

> > My 2nd desire is the following:
> > A{1,2} should throw the default-route in the OSPF area <only> if the
> BGP adjacency is reachable and the BGP peer is formed (BGP state should
> be established).
> > Is this desire realizable with bird only?
>
> No, that is not possible. Unless you convince your ISPs to send you
> also a default route through the BGP and use it to redistribute it to
> OSPF.
>
> But it is not a big problem - the router with BGP session down already
> has external routes from IBGP, so the traffic will be directed to the
> other border router.

This is the normal case. But we want to build a network design which isn't, well...., as normal as others.
That's why I was asking if it was possible with bird only.

Thanks, Ondrej.