static default vs bgp default

Maximilian Wilhelm max at rfc2324.org
Fri Feb 5 12:49:16 CET 2016

Anno domini 2016 Anand Buddhdev scripsit:

[...]
> and the following in bird6.conf:
>
> protocol static dropall {
>     preference 50;
>     route ::/0 blackhole;
> }

[...]
> However, it doesn't appear to have worked for IPv6 (yes, I reloaded bird6):
>
> # ip -6 route show table 10 | fgrep default
> # ip -6 route show table 10 | fgrep ::/0
>
> I even piped the entire output of the "ip -6 route show table 10"
> command to a pager, and eyeballed the routes. There's no default.
>
> But...
>
> # birdc6 show route ::/0
> BIRD 1.4.5 ready.
> ::/0               blackhole [dropall 11:19:29] ! (50)

> Is this a known bug? Or have I misconfigured something? What does the
> exclamation mean?

It means that bird wasn't able to push the route into the kernel.
There should be plenty of messages in syslog complainig about this.
Does this give some clue?

Best
Max
--
"I have to admit I've always suspected that MTBWTF would be a more useful
 metric of real-world performance."