Dynamic cost?

Michael McConnell michael at winkstreaming.com
Wed Dec 21 20:09:44 CET 2016

Hello Mike,

There is no concept of latency by peer in any main stream routing protocol because latency can be influenced by traffic load, which would create a real mess trying to understand the traffic flow. If you know one link is always lower latency than the next you simply set the cost manually at startup.

Cisco’s EIGRP protocol does have a load concept, but I believe Cisco pretty much says don’t use it (;

If you really wanted to you could create a script that ran a manual test of the latency of each link, the script could then updated the cost value in bird and reconfigure it though.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael McConnell