Using BIRD to inject a route into BGP

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Fri Apr 15 22:53:36 CEST 2016

Mainly for lab experimentation, I would like to be able to dynamically inject several IPv6 routes into BGP.

Creating a static route on the Linux running BIRD does not seem to grab the kernel route (even when doing "ip -6 route add ... proto [static|kernel]..." My config has "import all;export all" for kernel & device protocols + "learn on"

What am I missing? Is it possible with BIRD without having to configure those routes in protocol static and reload BIRD? (which is a little too heavy for my environment)

Thanks in advance

-éric