pmacct and BIRD on the same box

Charles van Niman charles at phukish.com
Sat Sep 19 23:35:35 CEST 2015

Hello,

      I am looking to feed BGP data into pmacct on a linux router I
have running BIRD. Right now, BIRD runs iBGP to five other boxes
[quagga/BIRD mix], on one IP [172.22.150.126], assigned to the
loopback interface, and a handful of eBGP peers on another IP
[172.22.150.127].

     I see two practical approaches to this, but I am all ears for
more! My original plan was to just put pmacct's BGP peer IP on a
separate loopback IP [172.22.150.119], and peer between BIRD
172.22.150.126:179 and pmacct 172.22.150.119:179, however since I am
using two different listening IPs in BIRD, it binds to 0.0.0.0.

     I attempted to use the global listen bgp option, but it seems I
am forced to pick between eBGP, iBGP, running multiple BIRD instances,
or renumbering sessions, which I want to avoid :(

     Another way around this seemed to be to use a different TCP port
for pmacct to bind to, however BIRD doesn't seem to support
per-neighbor port settings. Maybe I have just missed this feature, if
so hooray!

    Please let me know any thoughts or ideas you have on this, I am
open to anything, including how I may have worded this better.

Regards,
Charles