HA setup (v 1.4.5)

Jigar Mehta jgmehta at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 17 14:27:14 CEST 2015

I do have two bird instances on two seperate appliances (bird uses a custom
forwarding plane instead of kernel) . These appliances have their own FIB
but share interfaces. The appliances send keep-alives between them to
provide failover
They cannot use seperate interfaces. Due to this reason, only the 'active'
appliance receives packets (say LSA). BIRD running on active appliance has
all the routes in its FIB but the one running on secondary appliance has an
empty fib. However, since the appliances talk to each other, they sync up
their FIB (forwarding plane routing table is synced up) so after failover,
the secondary appliance can take over with minimal outage.
My problem as I mentioned earlier is :
After failover, BIRD running on secondary instance will need to learn
routes since it will now start receiving packets from peers :
Apart from Graceful Recovery, is there a way BIRD knows that its synced up
all the routes from neighbors (need to support both OSPF and BGP).

--
Jigar Mehta