Advertise prefix without static

Tapio Haapala tapio.haapala at f-solutions.fi
Sun Nov 22 15:59:31 CET 2015

Well yes an no. Depending of case. But lets say that way that if your
use case is that you have /20 network and then you have smaller (more
spesific) netoworks inside your own infra you can do example that way

protocol static announce {

         route x.x.x.x/20 unreachable;
}
That will generate advertise. Then your more spesific routes will handle
real traffic. If you want you can filter these routes so that they will
not go to kernel, but as far you have more spesific routes they will not
harm you. If you do not have them then you need anyways static routes or
some other route source for them and you can use them for advertisement.

Most of other softwares allow you to generate fake bgp advertisements in
bgp protocol (and in most cases it is even standard way to do it) But I
think that bird way is quite logical after you get used to it.

--
Tapio Haapala
F-Solutions Oy