Is it good practice to use same router id for bird and bird6 ?

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 11:01:21 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 3:23 AM, olivier a <oatech7402 at gmail.com> wrote:

> let's 192.168.1.1 is my router Wan IP. One single physical router running
> bird and bird6.
>
> Solution 1 :
> bird router id = 192.168.1.1
> bird6 router id = 192.168.1.1

Solution 1 is better.

On my networks, i assign a globally unique IPv4 address (with a /32 mask)
to each router. This IP address is configured on the loopback interface,
and used as router-id for all the routing protocols it's running.

I can use this IP address to ping the router, SSH to the router, and as a
unique identifier when looking at routing tables, to find the origin of the
route, or where the route was learned from.

I don't use a WAN IP address for this purpose, because IP addresses
assigned to interfaces can change over time--and i don't want to change my
router ID.

Router ID is a 32-bit number, which needs to be unique, so using an IPv4
address assigned to my AS matches these requirements exactly.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

--
     Jonathan