bird becoming unresponsive after a few hours

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jun 25 10:54:08 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:29:08AM +0100, Darren O'Connor wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I run bird 1.3.7 on a Debian VPS which peers with three IPv4 peers and
> three IPv6 peers. I have no data plane traffic, as I use these peers to run
> these two twitter accounts:
> https://twitter.com/bgp4_table
> https://twitter.com/bgp6_table
>
> I needed more peers, so I moved to a new VPS with 2GB ram. The previous
> only had 1GB.
>
> I have have 7 global IPv4 peers and 7 IPv6 peers. I'm running bird 1.4.0 on
> Ubuntu 14.04 - I've noticed that if I leave it for about an hour, and then
> log into birdc and type 'show route count' - bird will stall for about a
> minute giving no response. At that time, if I check netstat my Recv-Q
> rapidly increases on all my BGP sessions.

Hi

Well, try version 1.5.0 (or at least 1.4.5), version 1.3.7 is just too old.

I would also suggest to check free memory and swapping (and if the
process is running, sleeping or in IO-wait state). 'show route count'
would read the whole routing table, so if the VPS is somewhat
overcommited and is swapping, reading whole table could be slow.

You could also try to do 'show route' instead of 'show route count' to
see if the behavior is the same and what is reported during it.