Bird 1.5.0: protocol 'direct' looses routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jun 16 13:42:23 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 01:39:24PM +0300, Andrew wrote:
> 13.06.2015 10:43, Andrew пишет:
> >Hi all.
> >
> >I'm testing bird 1.5.0 on PPPoE BRAS, and today noticed that sometimes it
> >looses routes. For ex., today it looses near 5 networks of 103 total
> >(before restart - it has 98 routes, after - 103)
> >
> >Possibly this may be related with tunnel session hangup - when user
> >reconnects with same IP and then old session is dropped, bird may loose
> >this route while route is present in system. But I'm not sure about this.
>
> Trouble is confirmed on test machine.
>
> Testing result:

Hi

Thanks for the example, it is very descriptive. The problem here is that
'direct' protocol is a stateless translation of address announcements to
route announcements, but routing tables do not consider interface as part
of route key, therefore only one route for a prefix is remembered and
later removed. We could fix that in a similar way how BGP add path is
implemented - using separate route source per iface id. In that case, if
you have the same network on more interfaces, direct protocol will
generate multiple routes which will compete for being the best route.
I will write a patch for this.

BTW, the protocol 'loses' not 'looses' routes.