Bird hangs on startup (MIPS, EdgeOS 1.6.0, Debian wheezy)

Joel Brunenberg ml at jjim.de
Fri Feb 27 18:07:28 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 05:54:15PM +0100, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 04:49:02PM +0100, Joel Brunenberg wrote:
> > I saw this Post in the mailinglist from 2013:
> >
> >  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.bird.user/2371
> >
> > bit I am not sure if the two issues are related.
>
> It is most likely the same problem. There is a simple solution - use 1.4.5
> from wheezy-backports:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/bird
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/bird/bird_1.4.5-1~bpo70+1_mips.deb
>
> That works on my EdgeRouter Lite (although i have regular Debian Wheezy 7.5
> on it instead of EdgeOS, with kernel from the original EdgeOS - 2.6.32.13-UBNT).

Thank you, I will try that. I just found out how to look with gdb where
it hangs and came (though guessing) to the same conclusion. It loops
over lines 386-388 in nest/iface.c. Your solution should fix it.

How complicated is it to run plain wheezy on the edgerouter lite? It seems
very limiting in some points as nice as it is to have that software and
hardware around at that price. The "easy to use" gets in the way quite
often for some users.

> >  Feb 27 16:16:14 bel bird: KIF: Invalid broadcast address \
> >  255.255.255.255 for eth1
>
> No, you could ignore this warning.

Thank you for that. So I can sleep peacefully again :).

Best wishes,

 Joel

--
Joel Brunenberg - Troisdorf