Bird hangs on startup (MIPS, EdgeOS 1.6.0, Debian wheezy)

Joel Brunenberg ml at jjim.de
Fri Feb 27 16:49:02 CET 2015

Hi,

I am new to this list so please excuse, if I do look a little bit
clumsy.

I have a problem with bird 1.3.7 (debian wheezy 1.3.7-1) on mips,
namingly EdgeOS 1.6.0 on an EdgeRouter Lite. I am trying to set up Bird
to be able to use OSPF on Interfaces that are not supported by EdgeOS
natively. Before you let me burn in hell for having that idea, please
let me explain my problems.

1) On my platform does not start but hangs forever before the fork can
take place - this is, if I have the "device" protocol enabled which I of
cause need. I can reproduce that on several devices using the following
minimal config (given another config without the device proto, bird
starts) (given another config without the device proto, bird starts)
(given another config without the device proto, bird starts) (given
another config without the device proto, bird starts) (given another
config without the device proto, bird starts) (given another config
without the device proto, bird starts) (given another config without the
device proto, bird starts) (given another config without the device
proto, bird starts):

### bird.conf
log syslog { warning, error, auth, fatal, bug, info, debug};

router id 10.24.1.104;

debug protocols all;

protocol device device0 {
    scan time 10;
}
### end of bird.conf

(I fixed problem 2 before trying this)

I get no error messages or any indication whatsoever why or where it is
hanging. Strace shows the last syscall to be the last one completing.

recvmsg(5, {msg_name(12)={sa_family=AF_NETLINK, pid=0, groups=00000000},
        msg_iov(1)=[{"\0\0\0\24\0\3\0\2\0\0\21\345\377\377\357\236\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\10\0\1\177\0\0\1"...,
                     8192}],
        msg_controllen=0,
        msg_flags=0},
        0) = 20

ltrace seems to be unavailable on MIPS with debian wheezy. I have no
idea where to look right now. I am not that good with gdb, but I could
try something, given instructions.

I saw this Post in the mailinglist from 2013:

 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.bird.user/2371

bit I am not sure if the two issues are related. I have no toolchain
installed on this machine and I would rather not install one. I am not
that good with crosscompiling either, but if someone could point me in
the right direction, I would be glad to try a self-compiled version.

2) I use DHCP to get an IP on my WAN interface (cable modem) and the
broadcast address on the interface after configuration is
255.255.255.255, which is not the right broadcast address for the IP
assigned. If I do not fix that before starting bird, I get the following
error

 Feb 27 16:16:14 bel bird: KIF: Invalid broadcast address \
 255.255.255.255 for eth1

Of cause, bird is right and the interface broadcast address is wrong. My
question is: Is this a fatal error? The interface eth1 is not relevant
to me. Can I leave the Broadcast address as it is or will this break
bird even if not "using" this interface anywhere?

Thank you for looking into this and sorry for the long post,

/jbn

--
Joel Brunenberg - Troisdorf
PGP: 0xAD25981C