bird spawning huge amount of BGP traffic

Simon Szustkowski mail at simonszu.de
Thu Feb 19 16:55:21 CET 2015

Hi,

i am participating in a virtual network which is created for computer
enthusiasts to gain knowledge about advanced routing protocols and
stuff. It is called the DN42 (http://dn42.net).

Currently i am establishing BGP sessions with the help of quagga, but
since it is quite bloated for my small setup, i would like to migrate to
bird.

I have configured bird4 with the example config provided in the DN42
wiki (https://dn42.net/howto/Bird) (sorry about the HTML entities). The
result is: Bird populates my routing table with all the correct routes,
but spawns very huge amounts of BGP traffic. I ran it overnight
accidentally, and it spawned over 70GB traffic on some interfaces, so
these particular peers closed their VPN tunnels to me, which is
understandable.
I have created a minimal config by myself, which has the same result.
However, peering with quagga works as expected, with all routes and
little traffic.
But since i want to go away from quagga, and use bird, i am asking you
for advice in this problem. Where is my error, and how can i use bird in
the correct way?

Additional info: I am using bird on Debian Wheezy Stable, and the
virtual connections to my peers are set up with OpenVPN. I use IPv4 only
(currently).

So i would be thankful for any help or suggestions how to fix the error.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

---
Before printing this email, think if it is really needed.