not listening on 179 but iface up

Kai kai_pf at gmx.de
Sat Aug 29 19:00:21 CEST 2015

Dear bird gurus, :)

I'm currently setting up a new iBGP-(only)-member. It is configured to
connect to 2 internal peers:
--------------------
protocol bgp wiesbaden1 from bgp_ibgp_wi { # lotuswurzel
    neighbor 10.56.0.23 as wi_as;
};

protocol bgp wiesbaden2 from bgp_ibgp_wi { # kaschu
    neighbor 10.56.0.208 as wi_as;
};
--------------------
and these 2 peers are configured to connect vice-versa.

They don't connect. Additionally bird on the new member doesn't listen
on port 179. I first tried it to listen explicitly on two of the hosts
IP addresses (is this possible, by the way?) and now removed the
explicit "listen" - so that it should now listen on 0.0.0.0:179, right?
It doesn't. :(

I found hints that bird may postpone opening the socket, if the network
interfaces are not yet up. But at least 4 interfaces _are_ up, including
the two where the iBGP peers are connected directly.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Kai

--
"Das ist Demokratie, wenn man sich aussuchen darf, wer einen verarscht."
                                                               (Hagen Rether)