Device protocol not recognizing interface address change

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Aug 18 10:54:40 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:23:44PM +0100, Israel G. Lugo wrote:

> On 13-08-2015 18:37, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> >
> > So these interfaces are UP but not LOWER_UP in 'ip addr list' output?
> >

> This is the situation when BIRD is launched, right after the network
> service finishes:
> I just tried to reproduce the problem, by rebooting the router with the
> switch ports administratively down. But now the behavior was different:
> bird simply died. bird6 is there and running, but the bird process is not.
>
> The only log messages are:
>
> 2015-08-13T20:11:09.054662+01:00 gwtsul bird: Started
> 2015-08-13T20:11:13.001849+01:00 gwtsul bird: backbone: Iface eth1 in
> down state?
>
> Is this behavior by design? This is a problem e.g. in case of power
> failure. Sometimes the switch takes a minute longer than the PC to come
> back up. I would expect OSPF to wait until then.

Hi

No, it is a bug, not behavior by design. Could you send me a log from the
start of BIRD (ideally two logs for both cases - one where interfaces end
in down state and one when BIRD crashes with 'in down state?' message)
with enabled debug messages by adding this option to the OSPF protocol:

debug {events, states, interfaces};

?