TAP Interface UP but bird shows it down

Jigar Mehta jgmehta at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 22 16:10:51 CEST 2015

Newbie trying to play around with bird.
I have a setup with tap interfaces and when I do a ifconfig , the
interfaces are up and running.

However from BIRD's documentation :
The interface module keeps a `soft-up' state for each *iface* which is a
conjunction of link being up, the interface being of a `sane' type and at
least one IP address assigned to it.

There is no - ip adress assigned and I have a custom forwarding plane that
uses the interfaces and some smarts to tie them up into interface group and
etc.

Is there a work around to treat these interfaces as "UP" using the config
(I mean it should just look for link up and admin up flags ? ) and have
ospf protocol use them to import/export routes.
 I am avoiding attaching dummy addresses.  Tried reading documentation and
some older threads but could not find relevant info.

--
Jigar Mehta