Best external route on iBGP

Apollon Oikonomopoulos apollon at skroutz.gr
Thu Apr 9 12:10:57 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I've noticed that BIRD doesn't advertise the best external route to iBGP
peers (as it "should" according to RFC 1771) if there is already an iBGP
route for the same destination. I realize this is a point where most BGP
implementations deviate from the standard, although many of them offer
knobs to enable best external route propagation[1][2]. Still, this is a
useful behaviour, especially in active-backup setups where backup paths
are completely hidden from the rest of the AS.

In essence, it looks as if BIRD can do this with sorted tables and the
secondary BGP option, but unfortunately sorted tables are incompatible
with iBGP's multihop operation due to the recursive gateway calculation
strategy. Another option is of course add-paths, but then BIRD
advertises all received paths, leading to a larger memory consumption
than necessary.

So, in case I'm missing something, is there another way to achieve best
external route propagation over iBGP?

Regards,
Apollon

[1] http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos13.2/topics/example/policy-advertise-external.html