OSPF anycast prefix being filtered

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Apr 1 17:12:18 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 05:01:01PM +0200, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> The reason I was trying to avoid the "direct" protocol is because of this
> description in the docs (http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html#ss6.4):
> ===
> "The question is whether it is a good idea to have such device routes
> in BIRD routing table. OS kernel usually handles device routes for
> directly connected networks by itself so we don't need (and don't want)
> to export these routes to the kernel protocol. OSPF protocol creates
> device routes for its interfaces itself and BGP protocol is usually
> used for exporting aggregate routes."
> ===
>
> I specifically noticed that OSPF is supposed to create routes for its
> own interfaces.

Yes it is supposed to do that. Although handling of 'lo' is kind of
special case and in some circumstances does not work as expected. In that
case it is often useful to try dummy interface instead of lo interface.

> It turns out the "filtered out" messages were not relevant to my problem.
> The issue was caused by a OSPF network type mismatch. While I was
> using the BIRD default of point-to-point, the upstream router was
> configured for broadcast. After the upstream router was changed to use a
> point-to-point network type everything started to work.
>
> It would be nice to know what the meaning of the "filtered out" lines are,
> but they do not seem to affect the route announcement.

'filtered out' lines are related to 'import none', e.g. routes were not
imported from OSPF to master routing table.