bgp router with multi asn's - neighbor config ?

Kai kai_pf at gmx.de
Fri Sep 26 00:36:54 CEST 2014

Hi Ondrej!

Thanks for your hints. Please let me add a question! (see below)

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 16:32 +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 12:32:46PM +0000, Leo Vandewoestijne wrote:
> > >
> > > You cannot have two BGP relations to a single peer. I see two options:
> > >
> > You will certainly have to do this on different IP's.
> > And actually I only do it with different IP's in different netmasks.
>
> Yes, you can have two BGP sessions between two BGP neighbors if you use
> two pairs of IP addresses, IMHO it should work even if all addresses have
> the same netmask.

I now tried a setup with a peer (only one IP address) and a router on my
side which has two IP addresses configured on the same interface
(primary and secondary).

The schema of config on my side would look like this:

interface tun0:
  10.0.0.1  (primary)
  10.0.0.2  (secondary)

protocol bgp me_1 {6
  local 10.0.0.1 as 1;
  router id 10.0.0.1;
  neighbor 10.0.0.9 as 9;
  direct;
}

protocol bgp me_2 {6
  local 10.0.0.2 as 2;
  router id 10.0.0.2;
  neighbor 10.0.0.9 as 9;
  direct;
}

(In fact there are a lot of peers like this one.)
This setup doesn't seem to work. It seems as if, with each restart, only
on of the two connections comes online, not always the same one. The
second connection is rejected when incoming.
Which is the mistake I made here? Or does the peer have to have two IP
addresses as well?

The bird user manual states "Note that contrary to other IP routers,
BIRD is able to act as a router located in multiple AS’es
simultaneously". What is the intended way to configure this situation?

Best regards and many thanks, Kai

--
"Das ist Demokratie, wenn man sich aussuchen darf, wer einen verarscht."
                                                               (Hagen Rether)