Gateway on routed network problem (aka: Received route with strange next-hop)

Alexander Demenshin aldem-bird.2014 at nk7.net
Thu Sep 4 02:16:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've a static protocol which has routes like:

   route 10.0.0.0/24 via "uplink";
   route 192.168.0.0/24 via 10.0.0.1;

Obviously, this does not work in Bird, though this is perfectly valid
and accepted by the Linux kernel (as long as "uplink" is up).

When adding this route manually (ip route), I see in the log file
messages like:

   KRT: Received route 192.168.0.0/24 with strange next-hop 10.0.0.1

I've found why this is so (from
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.bird.user/2042):

"BIRD generally assumes tha that gateway of routes is a direct neighbor
according to IP addresses on interfaces, not according to routing
tables."

Well, now the question - *why* Bird assumes so and how to remove this
assumption?

In my situation, "uplink" is actually ethernet, not any kind of PtP
interface, and I really want to avoid adding local IP which is in
gateway's network (in some cases this is simply impossible due to tiny
transfer networks and multiple gateways).

Is there any easy fix for this? I feel that only few lines could be
changed to allow this, but I don't know the code well (yet).

Thank you!

--
With best regards,
Alexander.