Source address selection for transit-router with "blackholed" linknet

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Fri Nov 14 00:03:22 CET 2014

On 2014/11/13 23:06, oskar at cetex.se wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on getting a few linux-routers with bird up and running and I'm
> wondering: Is there any way to influence source-address selection for the
> routes installed by bird? (how do other bird-users handle this?, I guess I'm
> not alone?)

One method is to force the address to be marked "deprecated", this means
that it can receive packets but isn't chosen as a source. I do this on
OpenBSD by setting "pltime 0" when configuring the address, there's a blog
post describing this on Linux where the equivalent is "preferred_lft 0".
http://www.davidc.net/networking/ipv6-source-address-selection-linux

This isn't BIRD-specific.