BGP/OSPF synchronisation

Tom Harbert tomh at campaignmonitor.com
Fri May 2 06:32:12 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am running BIRD 1.4.2 on two Ubuntu Linux 12.04 systems acting as border
routers.  Two eBGP peers on each with iBGP between them.  OSPF also between
them and internally.

I notice that on reboot 10-15 packets both in and out are lost.  This seems
to happen just as/after the bird process starts.  It appears as if perhaps
BGP is establishing prior to the OSPF neighbors coming up and as a result
black-holing traffic.  I am nailing down my public IP prefixes with null
routes.

I have attempted to use the 'start delay time x' command under the BGP
sessions however they still establish immediately.  I believe this is
because this command delays the outbound attempt to connect yet the remote
side is initiating it.

# eBGP session to X
protocol bgp eBGP_X {
        description "eBGP - X";
        local as X;
        neighbor x.x.x.x as x;
* start delay time 60;*
import filter import_eBGP_X;
export filter export_eBGP_X;
}

Has anyone else ran into this problem with a similar design?  Is there a
different command to prevent BGP peering from establishing or to wait for
the IGP?

I have implemented a workaround/hack by filtering incoming TCP connections
with destination port 179.  This prevents the peers from being established
until the *start delay time* is reached.  I will review my routing
configuration/design however is there another way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Tom.