Behavior during OSPF premature aging

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jun 25 17:58:10 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 08:46:20AM +0100, Lennard Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When premature aging an LSA, bird seems to increase the LSA sequence number to its maximum (proto/ospf/lsupd.c line 616, in 1.4.3).
>
> While I think the main fault lies with the other vendor, my question
> at this time is: what is the reasoning behind updating the sequence
> number to its maximum, even though the RFC says to leave it as-is?

Hi

This is done mainly to compensate other problems/quirks/hacks in BIRD
OSPF implementation. One reason is that if you flush LSA using MaxSeqNo,
you could forget old LSA sequence number, and when you originate a new
one later, you could safely start from InitSeqNo.

Currently i am finishing OSPF revision that removes most of these BIRD
quirks and problems related to LSA flood and makes BIRD much better in
RFC compliance.