route attribute scope

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Jun 20 15:30:57 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 01:45:47PM +0200, Frederik Kriewitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we noticed something which feels like an inconsistency/bug to us.
>
> So far we assumed that route attributes can be set in any filter of
> any protocol.
> But it seems like OSPF attributes can be set only in export filters of
> OSPF protocols.

Hello

This is known inconsistency/quirk. It is is a result of current
attribute implementation (where EAF_EMBEDDED attributes are stored
directly in struct rte instead of in extended attribute list). Redesign
of embedded attributes (to fix this problem and also to simplify it)
is in my todo list.

The current behavior is that regular attributes (e.g. ones from BGP)
could be set anywhere, while embedded attributes (ones from OSPF, RIP
and KRT) could be set either in export filter to 'their' protocol, or
anywhere for 'their' routes (i.e. you could set ospf_metric1 anywhere
for route received from OSPF, with source == RTS_OSPF, but that is
probably not much useful).