Modification to BIRD to support better anycast model

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Jun 10 21:16:52 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 03:50:40PM -0700, Jay Grizzard wrote:
> Hiiiii bird folks.
>
> So, I've been looking at setting up a relatively simple anycast
> config, your typical 'multiple servers broadcast the same route via
> ospf and network proximity determines which you route to' type
> setup. BIRD seems like it should be able to do this fairly well, and
> seems to be one of the better/cleanest designs available for this
> sort of thing.

I am using anycast for Dialup Customer DNS Caches. Basically its a cron
job running like this every minute:

for try in 1 2 3; do
        /usr/bin/dig +short @localhost txt chaos version.bind. >/dev/null
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
                if ! ifisup; then
                        ifup
                fi
                exit 0
        fi
done
ifdown

ifup/ifdown are functions which ifup a lo:1 interface with the v4 anycast
address, and add a v6 address to the lo interface.

In bird and bird6 i simply import from the direct protocol if it matches
the anycast route and export it via ospf.

So i have a down convergence of 60 seconds + ospf which is good
enough for me.

Flo