List of supported BGP extended communities

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jul 2 22:24:54 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 06:09:05PM +0300, Alexander Shikov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not able to find full list of BGP ext. communities supported by bird.
> In Users Guide there are only "route target/origin" mentioned.
> Any other ext. community types are supported?

Hi

We support these 'type templates':

RFC 4360 3.1.  Two-Octet AS Specific Extended Community
RFC 4360 3.2.  IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community
RFC 5668  4-Octet AS Specific BGP Extended Community

These could have these subtypes:

RFC 4360 4. Route Target Community
RFC 4360 5. Route Origin Community
(or any other subtype using 'unknown X' syntax)

You could also construct any ext. community by: (generic, X, Y)

But it is true that all of this is not well documented.