BIRD unable to read data from TUN/TAP device

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jan 15 00:59:34 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 02:01:48PM +0100, Cyrill Gössi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to let BIRD communicate over virtual network devices created by
> the Linux TUN/TAP module.
>
> As it seems the tap devices receive the messages from BIRD. However, BIRD
> does not seem to receive the messages sent to it over the tap device.
>
> I described the scenario and the issues I run into in more detail on
> stackoverflow.

I am not sure if i understand your scenario, but if you run both TUN/TAP
endpoints on one machine, i would be surprised if OS network code wouldn't
be confused by that. If not, you should try ping and try to run OSPF
in NBMA mode (which will use just unicasts).

> If somebody has some experience with running BIRD over TUN/TAP devices,

Generally, it works over OpenVPN tunnels, which use TUN/TAP devices,
but in that cases both endpoints are on different machines.