BIRD 1.4.0 bugfixes [0/2]

Pierluigi Rolando pierluigi at embrane.com
Mon Feb 24 21:55:20 CET 2014

Hi,
Over the course of the next few emails I'd like to post 2 bugfixes for your consideration. These derive from similar patches that my organization (www.embrane.com) has adopted (internally, at this time) to work around issues that we've encountered in BIRD 1.4.0 and 1.3.11 builds.

Before I begin, let me be clear on one point. The patches I'm about to post are not intended to be included as-is in BIRD. I'm posting them in order to explain the problem a bit better than I could with words alone. You guys know BIRD much, much better than I do and you will probably be able to come up with cleaner ways to fix these issues. These are quick'n'dirty hacks.

All patches should apply cleanly to 1.4.0, v4 and v6. They've been tested, in slightly different form, under Linux kernel version 3.2.14 or later. Their formatting might be a little messed up as I need to massage them a bit before posting to take out comments and debugging statements that are out of scope.

What will follow is:

[1/2] - fix for an interface never leaving TMPDOWN state unless a full interface scan is initiated by timer;
[2/2] - fix for a situation where a static route change gets silently ignored if the new gateway for that route is unreachable.

Both these problems seem present in released BIRD versions. I haven't been able to find anything about them on the ML so I'm assuming they're currently unpatched. If that's not the case please let me know.

Since it's my first time posting patches here I apologize in advance for anything I might get wrong.

Thanks,
Pierluigi